Thursday, October 13, 2011

Magical PALEO Brownies my way!


This Paleo Brownie is comforting, pampering, divinely delicious and I am pretty sure it is going to send everyone on cloud nine! Now, with a little "magic" ingredient it would probably send you elsewhere too but... it is really not my cup of tea, and I am no longer a university student anyway. :) 
FYI for the first time I made this I used my mom's homamade raspberry marmalade which lack the high amount of sugar, store bought marmalades are always loaded with but now I have found a really cool french-based recipe raspberry jam in the store with says "no added sugar, sweetened with grape...". If you are familiar with the brand I highly recommend it, it is divine and very fruity, not that disgusting jelloy-sugary taste that others might have. 

So here I stand, stating confidently that this is the best brownie I have ever eaten in my entire life! I think it is almost unbelieveable, but at least really amazing that we can make such a deliscious and on-the-face sinful brownie without using the usual ingredients: sugar, flour, butter. The magic ingredient is almond butter here which works wonders with the "batter" for it keeps it nice and juicy and chewy so much, that it is dense and chewy on the second day two (haha, like it would stay in your kitchen for two days!)

Paleo Brownie
(12 small bars) 

3.5 oz. (100g) chocolate high quality with no diary/gluten or see*
1 cup (100g) almond butter  
3/4 cup (80g) almond meal/flour 
4 tbsp Dutch cocoa powder 
2 eggs 
1 tbsp vanilla extract 
3 tbsp honey 
topping: 
2 oz. (50g) high quality chocolate or see*
Raspberry marmalade with no added sugar (from store)

Preheat the oven to 160°C.  
Melt the chocolate in double boiler on low heat.  
Put the almond butter, melted chocolate, cocoa powder, eggs, vanilla extract and honey into a ball and whisk them together.  
Add the almond meal and whisk again.  
Pour into a baking tin (I used square) lined with parchment paper and bake for bout 20-25 minutes but don’t over bake. 
When completely cooled add the 50 g chocolate.

*TO MAKE YOUR OWN PALEO CHOCOLATE: 
for 100g:
Mix 40g coconut oil (liquidy) with 40g high quality cocoa powder (I prefer Dutch) with 30 g honey. If u leave it out on room temperature (and it's hot in there) it stays kind of liquidy-creamy, but if you place it into your freezer it will become solid, so you can either use it in baking or topping or as a bar chocolate if you prefer. 

Ejoy!

25 comments:

  1. By coincidence, I just made paleo brownies yesterday. I'm guessing these taste like both chocolate and almond?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ella! This is an "old" recipe from my other blog, just slowly putting them up here too. But I've made these many times and totally worth it every time! :) You cannot taste the almonds very harshly, just rather like a silent undertone, because the chocolate is so overpowering. :) When are you posting yours? I would like to check it out too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I really like the look of this recipe, but have a question: can you freeze these? If not, how long do they keep for?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous, hi!
    Thank you! This recipe indeed yields a very small amount of brownie, really small, but if you wish to double or triple it up it will become more. I have never tried to freeze it to be honest, but I do not think it cannot be freezed, the only think we should be cautious about is the eggs...so watch out for them if you freeze it. Tell me how you liked it if you try it! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This recipe looks great! About how many calories are they?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous! Hm, good question, but to be honest I do not know, but I can tell you it is not for those who wish to loose weight, but on the other hand, if you make this once in a while, even this small amount for 2-3 ppl, you will not gain weight either. It is not that bad (regarding the calories). I consume pretty decent amount of these nutty-nut buttery-dried fruity stuffs and I am in great shape.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried a recipe from Healthbent - it was pretty good but too almondy to recommend I think. I will try yours next time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Im sure you will like these, it is simply impossible not to like these ones. :) Keep me updated, pls!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just mouthwatering...looks so easy to prepare & delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, I have a batch cooling as I type...they smell fantastic! One question about the batter/dough...should it be very very thick? Mine was, almost too thick to stir with anything...including a fork. I ended up pressing the dough into the pan because it was one big ball! Did I do something wrong? FYI, I used 85% chocolate and agave instead of honey. Would these substitutions have made a big difference in consistency? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Marsha,

    No, they does not make that difference, it is thick by design, mine was thick too, this will make it very chewy after baking.
    Hope you will like it, please tell me how they turned out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi! I liked the texture very much, but my brownies needed a little more sweetener as I used both 85% chocolate and a dark cocoa. However, these will be good with vanilla ice cream! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Marsha, I am very happy to read you liked them! Well, the sweetness really a personal thing, I like mine moderately sweet, but you can adjust to your taste very easily. Thx for the comment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness! I'm so happy to find tis beautiful site!! If I'm going to make the change to paleo for life, these additional recipes for healthy eating are vital. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am happy you like my blog, hoping you will like the recipes too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Would it make a difference if I substituted peanut butter for almond butter? Thank you for this great recipe. I'm going to make it for my brother's homecoming after a year of not seeing him. He will love this!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for this recipe, my brother will love this surprise after being away from home for a year. I do have a question though, would it make a difference if I substituted almond butter with peanut butter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Fellow Foodlover,
      in my opinion yes, it would make a big difference, since peanut butter has a distinctive flavour, so it would stand out. But! Also in my opinion, if you like p.b. then it would make the recipe even better!!! :)
      Sorry for the late reply, I was on honeymoon. :)
      Hope to see you back quick!

      Delete
  18. Szia! I made these and they were okay, but have a few comments:

    To boost the flavor, I added 1/8 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp espresso powder. I used egg replacer (Ener-G brand) instead of real eggs. They don't really rise (expected, as there is no baking powder or baking soda in the recipe) and the texture has no crumb (no surprising with the lack of flour). They are dense but more like a dense paste/fudge consistency, not chewy. Mine came out fragile: I could not cut them into squares - likely the result of having used an egg substitute, but I'm not sure. I stuck mine in the freezer and plan to cut off small squares to eat as I would a small square of dark chocolate, as this is what it most closely reminds me of.

    For those with American tastes, they came out much more "dark chocolate"/bitter than a traditional American brownie would taste. For reference, I used a bittersweet chocolate bar (70%), and upped the sweetener (an additional 3T sweetener -- in my case, maple syrup). To further reach an American level of brownie flavor, I would suggest even more sweetener.

    Finally, a word of advice: The batter is thick, and trying to spread it with a spoon into the pan does not work. Instead, wash your hands well and use them instead to gently pat it into place. It doesn't stick to your hands, miraculously.

    All-in-all, I would say these may turn out more like a real American brownie IF you use a sweeter chocolate, more sweetener, and real eggs.

    Kosonom!

    BakerGal

    ReplyDelete
  19. This recipe looks really good...do you have the gram equivalents to cups??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I added the cup equivalents into the recipe in the post above! Hope you will like them!

      Delete
    2. Im a bit confused by your cup/gram conversation. 1 cup of almond butter is 240g not 100g. Which one is correct? Thanks for your help.

      Delete
  20. I just made these, and I have to say they are SPECTACULAR!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you! These are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I was wondering if (and how) I could sub stevia extract powder (very concentratedbut zero net carb) or xylitol (minimally ok) for the honey. I'm trying to use it in a ketogenic diet, which requires extremely low net carbs per day. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Follow me on Facebook Follow me on Twitter Check out my photos on Flick Email me